Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Beating the heat

It's so hot.

There I said it.

Most of you probably already know that we're in the middle of a heat wave. Yesterday, the temperaturehit 34C (45C with the humidex) and it's supposed to be like this for the rest of the week! I'm glad summer's finally here after our rainy June, but it's almost like someone flipped a switch.

The biggest challenge for me now is how to run in this heat. We haven't had a summer with this kind of extreme heat in about 5 years, so this is very much uncharted territory for me. In the past, I just moved my run to the next day... but that's not an option when we're talking 4-5 days straight of this weather. Other times I've run in the late evening, like around 8-9 p.m. - but again, it's still hot then!

Today I thought I'd get up early and run before things really started to bake. I headed out the door shortly after 6:30 a.m. It was already 32C with the humidex! Crazy! Thankfully I'm still running 30-35 minutes, so it wasn't too unbearable. And there was a good breeze and the sun wasn't totally up yet. I think I may have to head out even earlier on Thursday morning!

How do you beat the heat? Short of cancelling my run altogether, I can't really think of any other ways to avoid running in the sauna.

No comments: