Monday, April 12, 2010

Racing like a test subject

I have to admit that I don't feel much like a runner these days.

Last week I had medical appointments every day. I saw the second physiotherapist, who believes that my treatment plan needs to focus more on flexibility issues than on building core strength. He felt that a 10K was a reasonable goal for later in the year.

Part of me agrees with his idea to focus on flexibility, but a big part of me doesn't. I agree with it because I am clearly inflexible. I've never been able to touch my toes. Ever! Most people are amazed by how inflexible I am. But it's never been a problem until now. Which is why I don't necessarily agree. I spent 8 years dancing several times a week. It was a high impact sport that had a similar force exerted on my body as running (if not more). In the last few years, I danced for a minimum of an hour 3x a week, if not more. The worst injury I had was shin splints. I was the same weight I am now, so that's not a factor. I would say I am in the same physical shape now as I was then.

I think ultimately it's something wrong with my back. I saw the doctor on Friday and had x-rays done. I will likely need an MRI. My primary PT believes there's scar tissue in my back from my previous back injuries in 1999 and 2008, and that this scar tissue is putting pressure on my nerves.

I've considered just giving up running altogether. But I love running. I really do. I've invested 2 months of time and money into PT... I'm not ready to give up this fight just yet.

2 comments:

TiredMamaRunning said...

Do they have any ART (active release therapy) practitioners in your area? That seems like something that could help considerably-having someone else release your muscles and/or break up any adhesions in there. While I don't have an ART practitioner, I have a massage lady who works in a way that's very similar. She's been able to take care of chronic pain and issues that have led to injuries in the past.

Alexa K said...

Yup, she's doing that too! The current plan of attacking the flexibility seems to be working. I'm seeing an improvement from session to session.