Thursday, August 13, 2009

When to throw in the towel

I had originally scheduled my 6K run for Wednesday night. After running 3K on Monday and a rousing game of Ultimate on Tuesday (complete with wind sprints to the endzone), my legs felt like Jell-O on Wednesday. I recognized that maybe my 6K run wasn't such a good idea. Even 3K sounded daunting. So I put the run off until today.

Honestly, I can't say that the extra 12 hours of rest really helped. My legs still felt like lead 2K into the run. I wanted to throw in the towel right then and there. But no, I kept going. I figured that I'd dragged my behind out of bed an hour earlier for this God-forsaken exercise, so I was going to finish it! I ended up having to walk twice and I also had to watch my breathing because of a sidestitch that started at 3K. My legs felt dead at the end of the run and they are already sore.

I wondered... when is it okay to throw in the towel? Not every run is a golden run where everything lines up perfectly. And running when the alarm bells of nagging injuries, tiredness or sickness are ringing is always a bad idea. When should I leave my pride on the trail and abandon a run for a better day?

I thought that completing the run was the best idea for today's case. After all, I was running and out-and-back (run a distance out, run the same distance back) and it was at the 2K mark once I'd thought about quitting my run. This meant that I was going to have to run a total of 4K no matter what. And, an additional 2K really isn't that much more in grand scheme of things.

Then there were the other factors, such as the fact that I was out at 7 a.m. when I didn't need to be. I didn't know when I'd manage to fit in the extra KMs into my schedule. It's too hot right now to run during the day or before 7 p.m. And, I wasn't really hurting—my legs were just plain tired.

Was I right to keep going? Or was I pushing it too hard? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I realize how sore I am.

1 comment:

Sadie said...

I firmly believe that your mind gives up before your body.

I think it's great that you pushed through.

Stretch tonight, have a hot bath and you *should* be ok!

Beach day in 2!!