Thursday, July 30, 2009

Race on Saturday!

I've got my next 5K on Saturday. The race is Somersault's National Capital 5K and the event also includes a bunch of different races such as a sprint triathlon and Olympic triathlon. It's also going to be a fundraiser for a group of 5 cyclists who were hit by a vehicle a few weeks ago here in Ottawa. The group were on a training ride, as they are all triathletes.

As for me, I think the run will be a lot of fun and a nice challenge. The course is a little hilly and new to me. I don't expect to be able to beat my PR from my last 5K, as I haven't run much since that race. But I am hoping that the race will be good motivation to get back into running.

I'm going to be using 2 new gear items in the race: Sugoi R&R compression knee socks and a FuelBelt. I'm going to try the socks to see how they help with recovery and issues in my left knee, not to mention my awesome varicose veins. The Fuelbelt is a 4-bottle belt that is much more comfortable than my sad, 1 bottle one. The bottle was really uncomfortable and moved around far too much.

Wish me good luck!

No comments: