Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More sights and sounds

I ran my 5K recovery run last night. I decided to run near the Museum of Civilization, a beautiful national museum on the Ottawa river. There's a great path leading to it... it hugs the water's edge and goes through a beautiful forest. There's also a ridiculous hill at the beginning of said path...

Anyhow, I saw all kinds of chipmunks and squirrels. Staff at the Museum have installed some sort of falconry sounds that are insanely loud at timed intervals, presumably to keep the seagulls and Canada geese away.

After passing by the main plaza of the Museum, I caught a glimpse of this guy:













A belted kingfisher! That's not my photo and he flew away before I could pull out my phone to snap a pic. But he's by far my rarest sight on a run so far... he landed on a railing by the water's edge, not 50 feet from where I was standing. So cool.

No comments: