Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking back and looking forward

It's January 1st. Hubby and I are cuddled up on the couch, with the cat under the blanket, watching the Winter Classic on TV. I've been wanting to write this post for awhile now, so today seemed like a good day to do it.

2009 was a pretty good year for me. The highs include:
  • my first race at the inaugural Winterman event in February, where I ran the 5K in -7C and snow.
  • running the Ottawa MDS Nordion 10K in May. The crowds and race experience were incredible!
  • Setting repeated PRs in the 5K throughout the year, finishing with 28:09 at the Cookie Run in November.
  • Running over 750 KM in 2009, more than double my 2008 total.
  • Getting married!

I capped off 2009 with the Running Room's Resolution Run last night. The temperature was -11C, but it had snowed most of the day, so the footing was pretty treacherous. There was no PR for me, but I had a lot of fun. Saw a guy wearing gold tights, while others wore Christmas lights or New Year's Eve party hats. I can't wait to try out the fancy new jacket I got for entering.

Now for looking forward. Well, 2010 promises to be equally great! Some of my goals for this year are:

  • Finish the Ottawa Half Marathon (time goal to come later).
  • Drink more water.
  • Improve my 5K and 10K times.
  • Run 1300 km.

Cheers! And Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Sadie said...

There's one thing I can always count on. Reading your blog always makes me want to get my fat arse off the couch and go DO SOMETHING.

You rock :)

TiredMamaRunning said...

You had a great year! The nice thing is that running has a cumulative effect as well-your running this year will pay dividends as you head into 2010. Here's to a great upcoming year of running!

elsewise said...

Congratulations on the Resolution Run, and happy new year! I was there too, running the 10K in that snow (my husband said it felt like running through oatmeal - I agree). It wasn't my fastest run either, but there was a good vibe to the race.

I'm in the middle of training for my first half-marathon (I'm flying out to Florida in March to run the Disney Princess Half-Marathon), and I'm eager to read along with your adventures. It's always cool to meet another member of the Ottawa running community. Best of luck on your goals for 2010.

Alexa K said...

Hi Erica, nice to meet you! Best of luck at the Disney Princess in March. I'd love to know how it goes and what the race was like.