Needless to say, I'm still thinking about this question today, almost a week after she initially asked.
Here are some of my answers:
- I run because it makes me feel good inside, as though I am doing something that is benefitting my body and my overall health.
- I run because it gives me a reason to get off the couch so that I can enjoy the outdoors and the nice (and the not-so-nice) weather.
- I run because it empowers me. Once I finish a particularly good or difficult workout, I feel as though I can take on the world.
- I run so I can eat the blueberry tart at Starbucks without regret.
- I run so that I can be blessed with the occasional runner's high.
- I run today so that I can run faster tomorrow.
- I run because it gives me precious time to myself, which, in turn, keeps me sane. It gives me the quiet time to sort through my thoughts.
- I run so I can tune out the world around me, so I can forget my worries and stress and just focus on the next 10-50 feet of pavement in front of me instead.
- I run so that I can accomplish my goals of completing specific races or distances.