Thursday, September 3, 2009

Why I Run

A friend asked me recently: "Why do you run?" I had to really think long and hard about what my reasons were. Much of my answer is so intangible that the logical reasons are those that only a fellow runner would understand.

Needless to say, I'm still thinking about this question today, almost a week after she initially asked.

Here are some of my answers:
  • I run because it makes me feel good inside, as though I am doing something that is benefitting my body and my overall health.
  • I run because it gives me a reason to get off the couch so that I can enjoy the outdoors and the nice (and the not-so-nice) weather.
  • I run because it empowers me. Once I finish a particularly good or difficult workout, I feel as though I can take on the world.
  • I run so I can eat the blueberry tart at Starbucks without regret.
  • I run so that I can be blessed with the occasional runner's high.
  • I run today so that I can run faster tomorrow.
  • I run because it gives me precious time to myself, which, in turn, keeps me sane. It gives me the quiet time to sort through my thoughts.
  • I run so I can tune out the world around me, so I can forget my worries and stress and just focus on the next 10-50 feet of pavement in front of me instead.
  • I run so that I can accomplish my goals of completing specific races or distances.
These thoughts are just an attempt at putting those feelings that running evokes into words. Remembering these ideas is essential on those days where you don't want to tie up the laces for a run.

No comments: